|Inns & Taverns
Jump to: Monkseaton Inns | Monkseaton Brewery | The Railway Inn | The Black Horse Inn | The Ship Inn
| Rose Cottage and the Three Horse Shoes Inn
The Ship Inn was originally a farmhouse, built in 1688 as part of Monkseaton Dairy Farm, standing on the site of what is now the junction of Percy Terrace and Lyndhurst Road. The Ship Inn first came into being in 1790 when it was converted to a Public House. In 1922, the building was demolished and construction work started on the present Ship Inn, built for the Northumberland Brewery Company (the then owners of Monkseaton Brewery) on its present site, slightly to the West at the edge of Roseberry Terrace. Building work was completed a year later, and a plaque above the door reads: "1688, Ye Olde Ship Inn. Rebuilt 1923."
The Black Horse Inn was originally a two-storey stone structure dating to 1793, and was later remodelled to include a third floor. The building which stood on the north side of Front Street was demolished in 1936, along with a row of cottages known as Coronation Row, in order to make way for the extended Black Horse. These cottages which faced Front Street were built in 1821 by Dryden & Co., to house the workers from the nearby Monkseaton Brewery. The Black Horse was immediately rebuilt on the same site to its present familiar design, still standing to this day.
The Monkseaton Arms which first came into being soon after 1683, is featured below.
The Seven Stars was an old inn which stood on the South East corner of The Fold, Monkseaton, on what is now the corner of Front Street and Rosebery Terrace, close to the present Ship Inn. Little is known of this pub, other than references to a sale notice of 1814 which advertise that it was to be let, and a schedule of the premises indicating there was a Cock-Pit with glass lights behind. The inn was demolished soon after 1814, and single storey cottages forming part of The Fold were built in its place. The site is now occupied by sheltered housing called Rosebery Court.
The Three Horse Shoes stood on the West side of Chapel Lane, not far from the junction with Front Street. The building dates from 1795 when it opened as an ale house under the name of The Three Horse Shoes. During its lifetime, it has been an inn, a shop, a post office and a private residence. It was rebuilt in the early 1930s as a private detached residence, latterly referred to as Garnicks Cottage and named as such after the last resident. This house had fallen into disrepair and was demolished in 1998, to be replaced by a new detached house which stands on the corner of Chapel Lane at its junction with the back lane of Front Street.
Further details of these buildings, along with many other local Whitley Bay inns can be found in Charlie's book, 'Inns & Taverns of North Shields', published by Tempus.
Return to top of page...
Monkseaton Brewery stood on the site of what is now the present Monkseaton Arms Pub.
It was originally built in 1683 for a Michael Turpin of Murton, and during its existence, was the largest and most conspicuous building in Monkseaton, with whitewashed walls, a red pantiled roof and a tall chimney, which was a landmark that could be seen for many miles around.
Michael Turpin also bought a cottage adjoining the Brewery buildings to the west, and this later became the first 'Monkseaton Arms'.
The road that ran alongside the Brewery towards Red House Farm, was locally known as 'Turpin's Lane' (sometimes called Brewery Lane) and was later renamed Relton Terrace when the present housing was laid out.
The Brewery changed hands many times over the years, with three fires recorded there, the first of which occurred on 9th March 1821, totally destroying the drying kiln along with 60 bolls of malt. The second fire occurred on 4th January 1849 when the malting and stables were burned down, and five of the six Brewery horses perished. The third fire occurred in 1860, destroying part of the buildings containing much of the Brewery machinery, however all of the damage was repaired.
The local farmers delivered grain there with a horse and cart, and, along with the draymen, were usually rewarded with a 'Horn' of ale before leaving the Brewery. A horse-drawn dray would be loaded with barrels of ale at the side of the Brewery, through a 'Loading Hole' which was a kind of dock formed so that the barrels could be run directly off the ground onto the cart or dray. Malt making was carried out on the upper floors.
During 1855, the Brewery was in the possession of a William Davison, a well known gentleman, who resided at Monkseaton House next door to the Brewery. The house still stands to this day.
Two reservoirs were built in the rear garden of this house in order to supply the brewery with water, and were replenished from a divergent stream and the 'Cold Well' (see Cauldwell Lane above).
In 1900, the Brewery was taken over by the Northumberland Brewery Company, and later sold to the Newcastle Breweries in 1934. Shortly afterwards, the Brewery buildings and public house were demolished to make way for the present Monkseaton Arms. A small piece of history remains, as the rear stone wall of the original Brewery buildings still stands behind the conservatory area of the present pub, along with other stonework at the back of Monkseaton House, in Percy Terrace.
Return to top of page...
|The Railway Inn
Travelling south towards Whitley, Hill Heads Road was a continuation of 'Shields' Road — the main thoroughfare leading from Preston Township to Whitley Township and was once little more than a road running through open fields.
The road ran adjacent to West Park on the right, which formed the north-western boundary of Marden Limestone Quarry. This area is now occupied by the Ice Rink and cricket field. Just beyond here was Whitley Pit which in later years became the council yard and abattoir until replaced by the present housing.
The old Monkseaton/Tynemouth Waggonway crossed Hill Heads Road at a point very close to the present Kingsley Avenue, and ran through Marden Limestone Quarry, then parallel to the Broadway, into Spital Dene, terminating in the Low Lights area of North Shields.
The history and origins of the 'Railway Inn' at Whitley Hill Heads go back many years and begin prior to 1815 with the 'Crown and Thistle' public house which once stood on Hill Heads Road close to what is now the present junction of Dowling Avenue.
Because of its close proximity to the old Waggonway, the 'Crown and Thistle' was locally nicknamed as 'The Railway', and in later years was later physically renamed as such.
In the early 1900s, the manager was a John Dawson, and the accompanying picture shows him and his wife, Esther, standing at the doorway under the signboard.
The inn closed and was demolished in 1927, to make way for the present housing which forms the southern section of Hill Heads Estate (i.e. between Kingsley and Sycamore Avenue). During the same year, it was decided to replace the old inn with a new building on a site just a few yards south of the original pub, on the corner of Hill Heads Road and Kingsley Avenue.
The new 'Railway Inn' was built adjacent to the extended sidings and coal depots associated with Monkseaton Station and close to the original waggonway crossing. All of these sidings were later replaced by a caravan sales/storage facility and a garage. Today, they are occupied by Morrisons Supermarket and car park.
Closely modelled on the nearby 'Quarry Inn' which was also built in 1927, the 'Railway Inn' underwent a full refurbishment in 2006, and despite an unflattering name change to 'Last Orders', the pub is still referred to by many of the locals as 'The Railway'.
Return to top of page...
The original Black Horse Inn was built in 1793 and stood on the north side of Monkseaton Front Street on the same site as the present building.
The inn was originally a two-storey stone structure which was remodelled some years later to include a third floor, and almost dominated this part of Front Street.
For many years during its life, it was regularly used as a public meeting place, the earliest example of which was indicated in the Newcastle Courant dated 1798 in an article which read: "At Gawen Watson's sign of the Black Horse, a meeting of the creditors of Timothy Duxfield will be held on the Twenty Fourth day of September 1798."
An old document dated 1815 describes the premises in possession of a Peregrine Henzell, an innkeeper of Newcastle, and Reay Johnson Archbold, late of Morpeth, and were described as: "A messuage* or dwelling house, used as a Public House, with a yard and a garden behind the same."
In 1827 and 1828, the proprietor is recorded as a Thomas Yellowley, followed in 1834 and 1841 by a John Duxfield, and in 1845 by a Henry Whitfield.
Records indicate that by 1855 the Black Horse was actually closed as a Public House; however it still retained a licence to sell ales and spirits. It was occupied at this time by a George Davidson, a local Blacksmith and Cartwright when it was used as a venue for winter assemblies which sometimes involved dancing until the early hours.
In 1869, the premises were sold to a John Elliott, and by 1887 were being run by a Joseph Bell.
In 1897, the landlord is recorded as a William Hills, who died in 1908, but strangely enough, was still recorded as the licensee in 1910. The Inn thereafter came under the ownership of Robinson and Anderson, a company who applied to the Whitley and Monkseaton Urban District Council to demolish and then rebuild the premises to a new design on the same site.
This application was approved in March 1936, and demolition work began almost immediately to include some of the adjacent cottages situated next door on Coronation Row. The Black Horse was immediately rebuilt on the same site to its present familiar design and still stands to this day.
*Messuage is derived from Anglo-French and means a dwelling-house with outbuildings and adjoining lands.
Return to top of page...
The Ship Inn was originally built as a farmhouse in 1688 by a Thomas Mills, for the prominent Mills family of Monkseaton. The building stood slightly to the east of the present Ship Inn, on the site of what is now the junction of Percy Terrace and Lyndhurst Road.
It is likely that the farmhouse was converted to become an ale parlour in the late 1700s. The inn passed by inheritance to a Mrs Ann Arthur who is recorded as licensee between 1851 and 1855. Subsequent owners and licensees are: 1855 — John Nicholson, 1873 — Joseph Blake, 1876-1887 — Thomas Arkley, 1893 — Mrs Nicholson (Widow of John Nicholson who ran the pub in 1855), 1897 — Joseph Potts, and 1910 — Elizabeth Robinson.
In 1922, the Old Ship Inn was demolished, and in 1923, at a cost of £5,100 it was replaced with the present building, which was commissioned by the Northumberland Brewery Co. Ltd. (The then-owners of Monkseaton Brewery), and was constructed just a few yards to the west, adjoining Rosebery Terrace.
A carved stone plaque above the canopy and door reads: "1688 — Ye Olde Ship Inn. Rebuilt 1923". From its construction until the late 1970s the Ship Inn was, internally, largely untouched and unaltered. As a building, the Ship had a lot of local charm, with many faithful customers who were characters in their own right too. It has always been very much a traditional local pub.
On entering the main front door, a corridor led towards the back of the pub. The first door on the left ran into a small bar, which for many years was men only, and was frequented by a hard core of domino players.
Off the corridor to the right, was a Select Room, which was also "Gentlemen Only". Drinks were served after ringing a bell, and waiting for a member of staff to come and take your order and return to the table with the drinks.
At the end of this corridor, a small lobby led to the toilets with another corridor to the left, which linked with the Lounge Bar, which was also served by a member of staff taking orders at the tables. A small Sitting Room also ran off to the right.
Back outside, the corner door led into a small Off-Sales shop, and a door at the side led directly into the Lounge Bar. When the pub underwent alterations during the 1970s, this door was bricked up, and replaced with a window. The window of the Off-Sales shop was also removed and replaced with two smaller windows to match the rest of the frontage and, apart from minor cosmetic changes, are the only external features which have changed since the Ship was built.
Internally, the main corridor disappeared, and along with the Select Room became an extension of the bar. The small Sitting Room became the ladies toilets, and the Off Sales Shop was altered to combine with the Lounge Bar, and renamed "The Captain's Cabin".
Perhaps some of the best known and longest-serving managers since the 1960s were Stan Graham, Percy and Moira Young, Joyce Eaton-Hall and the present manager, Fred Turnbull, who was once a former professional football player for Aston Villa.
Return to top of page...
Rose Cottage was situated on the west side of Chapel Lane and stood slightly to the north of the actual Chapel, separated only by a small blacksmith's shop which stood between the two buildings. It is recorded that the Inn dates from 1795 when it opened as an ale house under the name of 'The Three Horse Shoes'.
Although there is no definitive evidence, an interesting tale exists that in the late 1700s; an old Sea Captain and his crew were shipwrecked on Whitley Beach, and travelled inland to Monkseaton where they discovered a band of smugglers living in Rose Cottage.
The Captain is said to have ousted the smugglers and made his home in the cottage, where he started to brew ale which he sold to locals and passing travellers. As a result, the Captain then opened up the house as an Inn shortly afterwards and named it as 'The Three Horse Shoes'.
It is however interesting to note that in 1799, the Innkeeper at the Three Horse Shoes is recorded as a Robert Mills, who was an old Greenland Whaler, so the likelihood is that the tale may well have simply been a fanciful exaggeration of the truth.
On April 24th 1799, the Tynemouth Association for the Prosecution of Felons offered a reward of Two Guineas to anyone who could offer any information leading to the conviction of thieves who had stolen poultry from Robert Mills at the Three Horse Shoes Inn.
In 1827, the proprietor of the inn was still recorded as Robert Mills, which in 1841, had changed to a John Lowery, and in 1845 to a Margaret or 'Peggy' Lowery.
It would appear that a Robert Davison, took ownership around 1862, as he was responsible for a partial rebuild of the premises.
It is unclear when the Inn actually closed but afterwards, it became a Shop, a Post Office and latterly a private residence.
The property underwent an extensive rebuild in the early 1930's to become a private detached residence, and in later years was locally referred to and nicknamed 'Garnicks Cottage', so named after Alec Garnick, a local building contractor who was the last resident.
The house, which stood on the corner of Chapel Lane next to the back lane of Front Street fell into a state of disrepair and was demolished in 1998 to be replaced by a new detached building, which is now used as a small residential centre for people with learning disabilities.
|Return to top of page...|